Tuesday, November 17, 2009

California Conifers

I like to tromp around in wilderness. A lot. But now I've got a cute little baby, so my tromping opportunities are pretty limited. For now, I'm limited to dreaming and planning.

Here's my dream: I want to see all the conifers of California in their natural habitats.

This seems like a good dream to me. There's an educational aspect: learning about trees, the geography of the California, and odd bits of natural history. And this seems like a family-friendly goal. Brian (the cute little baby mentioned above) won't be ready for long backpacking trips for some time. But visiting trees is not so difficult, for the most part. And lots and lots of planning will be-- if not necessary, then at least possible. This should keep me out of trouble.

Finally, if you're going to take an interest in trees, then California is a pretty good place to be. The oldest, tallest, and largest trees in the world are all found here.

My plan for this blog is to review the "targets" and then, hopefully, record our attempts to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment